Help Advance Living Organ Donor Anti-Discrimination Legislation in the U.S. Congress Today
Call or Email Your Member of Congress and Request That They Co-Sponsor H.R. 1270, Living Donor Protection Act
On Tuesday, October 24th, Congressman Jerrold Nadler (NY) and Congresswoman Jaime Herrera Beutler (WA) addressed the AST Transplant Patient Summit (TPS) in Washington, DC.....and have requested your help to advance important living donor legislation!
Nadler and Herrera Beutler introduced H.R. 1270, Living Donor Protection Act, on March 1, 2017. The legislation has more than 50 co-sponsors...but needs more!
The Living Donor Protection Act - H.R. 1270
Introduced on March 1, 2017, by Representatives Nadler (D-NY) and Herrera Beutler (R-WA) in the U.S. House of Representatives.
What Does the Legislation Do?
- This bill prohibits discrimination based on an individual's status as a living organ donor in the offering, issuance, cancellation, coverage, price, or any other condition of a life insurance policy, disability insurance policy, or long-term care insurance policy.
- The bill amends the Family and Medical Leave Act of 1993 to specifically include living organ donation as a serious health condition that entitles a covered employee to leave under that Act.
- The Department of Health and Human Services must update public service announcements, websites, and other media regarding live organ donation to educate the public on the benefits of live organ donation and on access to insurance for living organ donors.
How May I Help Congressman Nadler and Congresswoman Herrera Beutler Pass the Living Donor Protection Act?
- Please contact your Member of Congress and ask that they co-sponsor H.R. 1270 today, if they have not already. See below for a list of co-sponsors as of October 27, 2017.
- Look up Your Member of Congress here
Although we are requesting that every Member of Congress co-sponsor H.R. 1270, we are also focusing particular attention on those Members of Congress that serve on the 5 key Congressional Committees of jurisdiction.
The legislation is pending before the House Committee on:
- Energy and Commerce
- Oversight and Government Reform
- House Administration
- Education and the Workforce
- Financial Services
Please take a moment to call your Member of Congress and request that they co-sponsor the Living Donor Protection Act.
- Call Your Member of Congress: Switchboard: (202) 224-3121 or office numbers listed on org website link above.
As of October 27, 2017, the bill has 50 co-sponsors, listed below. For future updates on co-sponsors, click here.
|AZ||Rep. Gallego, Ruben [D-AZ-7]||4/17/2017|
|AZ||Rep. O'Halleran, Tom [D-AZ-1]||4/4/2017|
|CA||Rep. DeSaulnier, Mark [D-CA-11]||4/17/2017|
|CA||Rep. Knight, Stephen [R-CA-25]||5/23/2017|
|CA||Rep. Raul Ruiz [D-CA-36]||10/26/2017|
|CA||Rep. Peters, Scott H. [D-CA-52]||4/4/2017|
|CA||Rep. Schiff, Adam B. [D-CA-28]||6/12/2017|
|CA||Rep. Swalwell, Eric [D-CA-15]||4/4/2017|
|CO||Rep. DeGette, Diana [D-CO-1]||9/6/2017|
|CT||Rep. Himes, James A. [D-CT-4]||5/23/2017|
|DE||Rep. Blunt Rochester, Lisa [D-DE-At Large]||4/6/2017|
|FL||Rep. Crist, Charlie [D-FL-13]||9/18/2017|
|FL||Rep. Posey, Bill [R-FL-8]||4/4/2017|
|FL||Rep. Ros-Lehtinen, Ileana [R-FL-27]||6/12/2017|
|GA||Rep. Lewis, John [D-GA-5]||4/17/2017|
|IA||Rep. Loebsack, David [D-IA-2]||9/27/2017|
|IA||Rep. Young, David [R-IA-3]||4/4/2017|
|IL||Rep. Lipinski, Daniel [D-IL-3]||7/27/2017|
|IL||Rep. Rush, Bobby L. [D-IL-1]||9/13/2017|
|IN||Rep. Visclosky, Peter J. [D-IN-1]||4/4/2017|
|KS||Rep. Yoder, Kevin [R-KS-3]||4/4/2017|
|KY||Rep. Yarmuth, John A. [D-KY-3]||4/4/2017|
|LA||Rep. Higgins, Clay [R-LA-3]||4/17/2017|
|MA||Rep. Lynch, Stephen F. [D-MA-8]||8/29/2017|
|MD||Rep. Raskin, Jamie [D-MD-8]||4/6/2017|
|ME||Rep. Pingree, Chellie [D-ME-1]||5/23/2017|
|MI||Rep. Kildee, Daniel T. [D-MI-5]||9/13/2017|
|MS||Rep. Palazzo, Steven M. [R-MS-4]||10/10/2017|
|NH||Rep. Shea-Porter, Carol [D-NH-1]||4/4/2017|
|NJ||Rep. Watson Coleman, Bonnie [D-NJ-12]||10/10/2017|
|NM||Rep. Lujan Grisham, Michelle [D-NM-1]||4/4/2017|
|NV||Rep. Rosen, Jacky [D-NV-3]||7/11/2017|
|NY||Rep. Clarke, Yvette D. [D-NY-9]||4/4/2017|
|NT||Rep. Gerald Nadler [D-NY-10]||SPONSOR|
|NY||Rep. Crowley, Joseph [D-NY-14]||10/23/2017|
|NY||Rep. King, Peter T. [R-NY-2]||10/10/2017|
|NY||Rep. Slaughter, Louise McIntosh [D-NY-25]||10/23/2017|
|OH||Rep. Ryan, Tim [D-OH-13]||4/4/2017|
|OR||Rep. Blumenauer, Earl [D-OR-3]||5/23/2017|
|OR||Rep. DeFazio, Peter A. [D-OR-4]||6/12/2017|
|PA||Rep. Cartwright, Matt [D-PA-17]||4/4/2017|
|PA||Rep. Evans, Dwight [D-PA-2]||9/25/2017|
|PA||Rep. Fitzpatrick, Brian K. [R-PA-8]||4/4/2017|
|PA||Rep. Marino, Tom [R-PA-10]||9/6/2017|
|PA||Rep. Rothfus, Keith J. [R-PA-12]||5/23/2017|
|RI||Rep. Cicilline, David N. [D-RI-1]||4/4/2017|
|TN||Rep. Cohen, Steve [D-TN-9]||7/11/2017|
|TX||Rep. Farenthold, Blake [R-TX-27]||10/23/2017|
|TX||Rep. Smith, Lamar [R-TX-21]||4/4/2017|
|WA||Rep. DelBene, Suzan K. [D-WA-1]||4/6/2017|
|WA||Rep. Herrera Beutler, Jaime [R-WA-3]*||3/1/2017|